Used Sails Search
Search our sail database
Sail and Rig Measurements
- P = Mainsail Luff Measurement on mast taken vertically from top of boom to Black Band at mast head.
- P Max = Mainsail Luff Max Measurement taken vertically from top of boom to sheave in mast, two blocked.
- E = Mainsail Foot Measurement along boom horizontally from back of mast aft to Black Band at outhaul.
- E Max = Mainsail Foot Measurement along boom horizontally from back of mast aft to sheave in boom, two blocked.
- P x E * .62 = Average mainsail area.
Headsails, Staysails, Storm Jibs.
- J = Measurement from forestay intersection with deck to front of mast at deck level, taken horizontally.
- J2 = Measurement from inner forestay intersection with deck to front of mast at deck level this primarily used for staysails also taken horizontally.
- I = Measurement from the deck sheer vertically to genoa halyard sheave in spar, also referred to as IG to assist with the vertical I measurement for the genoa calculations.
- I2 = Measurement from the deck sheer vertically to staysail halyard sheave in spar, also referred to as the IG2 to assist with the vertical I measurement for the staysail calculations.
- LP = Luff Perpendicular is the shortest measurement from the clew to the luff at 90 degrees.
- LL = The headsail luff length. LL x LP / 2 = Headsail Sail Area.
- LL Max = The forestay maximum length from tack pin the sheave, two blocked.
Spinnakers, Code Zeros.
- ISP = Measurement from deck sheer vertically to spinnaker halyard sheave.
- ISP2 = Measurement from deck shear vertically to a fractional or lower halyard sheave.
- SPL= Spinnaker pole length
- STL= Measurement from front of mast horizontally to tack line exit on bow pole